A new venue for Gothic horror comes from this report on silk-based digital implants. A Tufts project combines electronic sensors with light silk, with the goal of implanting the combination on a body.
Set aside the medical benefits for the moment, and consider the horrific possibilities.
- Hacking potentials. An inquisitive outsider sends the silk-sensor-web some new commands.
- Technical glitches. For example, on a patch resting on top of the brain.
- The old Frankenstein trick: sensors attain consciousness. Blade Runner variant: perhaps don't want to be dissolved.
- Imagine the silk-sensor web which doesn't decay, but persists for years.
- "a silk optical fiber could transmit light from an LED array to an implanted silk sensor, which would change color to indicate that a cancer has come back." A detailed glow appears from within the body, under the skin...